From: Mike Arst
To: Bob Campbell
Date: 15 Mar 90 15:34:03

> I looked at RONSET and my first thought was; Wow what a powerful batch 
 > utiity. Then I tried to think of something to use it for.  I can't think 
 > of anything that I need RONSET for.

Overall, the point is: that I know of there has never been a SINGLE batch file 
utility with this many functions built in. It is a WONDERFUL piece of 
programming.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Seattle Software Exchange / SeaSoftNet (206.637-2398) (1:343/8.9)
SEEN-BY: 19/3 105/469 124/1002 1113 4115 5003 6120 130/12 24 343/8 
SEEN-BY: 343/11 40 200 300 350/20 
PATH: 1086/9 343/8 300 124/4115 

===============================================================================

Date: 22 Mar 90  21:25:03
From: Ron Bemis
To:   Mike Arst
Subj: Re: Ronset question

 >>  Rem Place wakeup call on weekdays (dial voice line)
 >>  RonSet X=level(or(eqs(date(k),Sat),eqs(date(k),Sun)))
 >>  If Not Errorlevel 1 Call WakeUp

 MA> Could I talk you into explaining how OR() works? AND() and OR() and
 MA> XOR() and that kinda stuff are still mysteries to me. Thanks.

These are bitwise functions.  0 is FALSE and 1 is TRUE.  The order of the 
operands doesn't matter.

If you OR (sometimes called an "inclusive OR") two bits together, you get TRUE 
(1) if either one of them is TRUE.  Otherwise you get FALSE (0).

   OR | 0  1       OR is typically used for setting bits.  If you want to
    --+------      set the 3rd most significant bit, you'd OR with 4.
    0 | 0  1            xxxxxxxx
    1 | 1  1         OR 00000100
                    -------------
                        xxxxx1xx

If you AND two bits together, you get TRUE (1) if *both* bits are TRUE.  
Otherwise you get FALSE (0).

  AND | 0  1       AND is typically used for masking bits.  If you only
    --+------      want the 4th most significant bit, you'd AND with 8.
    0 | 0  0            xxxxxxxx
    1 | 0  1        AND 00001000
                    -------------
                        0000x000

If you XOR (exclusive OR) two bits together, you get TRUE (1) if the bits are 
different.  Otherwise you get FALSE (0).

  XOR | 0  1            Example:     01010101
    --+------                    XOR 11001100
    0 | 0  1                    --------------
    1 | 1  0                         10011001

If you NOT a bit, you get the opposite of what you started with.

  NOT | 0  1            Example:   NOT 11001010
    --+------                       is 00110101
      | 1  0

Ronset does all these functions with 16-bit unsigned numbers.  My examples 
above only show 8 bits.

                    -Ron

--- Msg V4.1
 * Origin: Nibbles & Bytes - Dallas, Texas - 214-231-3841 (1:124/1113)
SEEN-BY: 124/1113